The Secret Agent Fangirl contest is CLOSED. Three and a half months, and five entries.
Update! There has been a small delay with judging the SAFG contest. I seem to have lost contact with
. I think her computer is either in the shop again, or she's got a life. Either way, should she not respond to me by next Friday, I will judge the contest alone.
I thank all who entered.
are two artists who need to be commissioned.
is facing a 60,000 peso bill (just under $1300) and has few other ways to get money.
I've been tagged TWICE!!
and :icontimelasher: have tagged me. Sarukin wants to know 10 things about me.
1. I have been trying to get my series, Secret Agent Fangirl published since 2004.
2. The main reason that I haven't is because I've had no less than fifteen artists back out of the project.
3. My college degree is a B.B.A. in Human Resources.
4. I have been up all day restoring my PC. Last night it caught a virus that did a system restore on it.
5. I played tuba in my freshman and sophmore year in high school.
6. I hung out in Fry St. in Denton in the late 1980's and early 1990's. I met the Reverend Horton Heat, Peter Schmidt from Funland, and was a neighbor to Mark Pirro from the Polyphonic Spree for a semester.
7. The newest character I've created for Secret Agent Fangirl is Johnny Torgo, a cross between Johnny Otaku and Torgo from the film Manos, the Hands of Fate. Creepyness-wise, they are about the same.
8. A running joke I have with my friend
is a series called Life in the Ami army. Amelie is a fangirl at heart, and loves Fullmetal Alchemist. The series has the various bishonen guys she likes being in an army with her as the general. The first one of these had Ami standing opposite a shirtless Roy Mustang. he says "Are you sure about this uniform, ma'am? Something seems to be missing." She smiles and says "I don't see anything missing."
9. Even though Secret Agent Fangirl has yet to be published, it already has some spin-offs. The first one was Kimiko's favorite fandom, the Battle Boyz. This concerns five bishonen men who go around saving the world while providing lots of fangirl service.
10. I have been published several times, in the following:
- Gold Digger annual #10 and 14
- Gold Digger Swimsuit #9, 10, 11 and 13 (in the last one, I have two stories.)
- Ninja High School Annual #17.
Now here's Timelasher's thing:
Write out the names of your characters and explain:
1) how you thought of their name
2) what made you create the character in the first place
3) how the character has changed over time (if they have changed)
4) any random fun fact about that character
5) Tag someone else about this
Let's see here
I've created a ton of characters over the years. Let's limit it to the Secret Agent Fangirl regulars though.
Kimiko Matsuga, Chantal du Roquillere, Sanjuro Watanabe, the Chief, Loudmouth, Shannon McCloud, Yayoi Satou and Johnny Torgo.
1. Kimiko Matsuga: First name doesn't have anything special about it. Matsuga is a corruption of the Japanese word Matsuri (festival) replacing the final ri with ga (picture.) Chantal Du Roquillere's name is derived from two different Cajun females I knew. The first was named Chantal Ordineaux, and she was one of the school idols in my high school. The other was Denise Du Roquillere, an ex-coworker of mine. Sanjuro Watanabe was named because I had been told it was Japanese for "John Smith." This, of course, is not true. (The most common male name in Japan is Tarou Satou.) Sanjuro Watanabe is more like Tim Jones. Common, but not the most common. The Chief's real name is Humberto Quintanilla. I thought it would be good to have a Hispanic person in a position of authority here. I picked his name at random from some common Hispanic names. I also wanted to break from the stereotypes of Hispanics as being limited to day laborers. Shannon McCloud's name was just so I could work the "Chief?" "McCloud!" joke in. Loudmouth was named for the Ramones song of the same name. Yayoi was named for a character in the series A.I. Love You by Ken Akamatsu. The joke with her is that she lives in the same apartment complex that Kimiko does. The landlord keeps dropping the secnod y from her name. Johnny Torgo is a cross between Johnny Otaku and Torgo from Manos, the Hands of Fate.
2. I created Secret Agent Fangirl as a means to express what I was thinking and in hopes of actually having it published as a manga. I created it in early 2005 based on cop shows and some things I wanted to show: the reading/writing fanfic subculture and the anime convention subculture. I really didn't like most depictions of the fanboy/fangirl type; they're usually unkempt slobs that have no jobs or lives. I also wanted to speak about a section of fans in general that tend to be ignored: the older fan. This is someone whos in college or graduated but still chooses to follow a fandom. Yayoi was created to show how Kimiko gets the costumes she wears. Unlike most cosplayers, she doesn't wear the same costume to different anime conventions. Loudmouth was created as an antithesis to Kimiko. He is the Joker to her Batman.
3. Kimiko et al have matured over time. Initially, Sanjuro was a shameless pervert, but I also had the shameless pervert Loudmouth (Kimiko's main antagonist.) I changed that because I didn't want two shameless perverts driving her crazy. The other changes I want to keep secret for now.
4. Kimiko: Is very sensitive about her age, and gets angry when teenagers at anime conventions call her an old hag. This was derived from Ed Elric's reaction to being called little.
One idea I had for a gag was having Kimiko arguing with a short guy cosplaying as Ed Elric. The dialogue went like this:
Kimiko: Who are you calling an old hag, little man!?
Ed: Who are you calling little, you old hag!?
Chantal: was created solely to give Kimiko a friend. She is NOT based on my friend Amelie Belcher. I created her before I met Amelie.
Sanjuro: Personality is loosely based on Koukin from Ikkitousen. Unlike Koukin, girls don't like Sanjuro. He is a rabid hockey fan (He grew up in Minnesota) and his favorite team is the farm team the Fort Worth Bullriders.
The Chief is a Vietnam veteran who didn't retire due to the economy tanking.
Shannon McCloud has two children, a boy (age 10) and a girl (age 8.)
Yayoi Satou lives in the same apartment complex as Kimiko, several doors down from her. She has two roommates in a one bedroom apartment.
Loudmouth likes to write troll fan fiction.
Johnny Torgo has been banned from no less than 25 different anime conventions.
for the second one.
has finished a picture of Kimiko topless on the beach! [link]
has added a page for her friend's OCs. If you've done a commission for me, I give permission (and stronlgy encourage you) to add it to this page. (The extra exposure to your work wouldn't hurt either.)
is holding a contest. Info here: [link]
Convention schedule so far:
June 4-6: A-Kon, Dallas. Theme: Queen's Blade (All Queen's Blade.)
July 9-11: San Japan, San Antonio. Maybe... Depends if I can get the days off. Theme: Kenko Zenraki Suiebu Umisho
Updated list of those whom I watch:
in addition to the below.